Tuesday, April 25, 2006

25-Apr-2006

See You Later

Wow, I never noticed how much people say this phrase.  Today was fun... .  I'll start at the beginning, though it's not directly related.

Nobody knows how to make me feel worse than I already do except a very select group of people (wait, are they people?).  I'm doing okay having a perfectly mediocre day (despite the lack of sleep of late) when one of my professors tells me that even though I was sick for a month, I'm still getting marked down for turning in a project.  I guess I'm kinda happy about that, because as late as it was, I should have gotten a zero as the syllabus states.  But I don't understand how something I have no control over can cause me to not do well.  I'm still gonna pass the class (if I ever get this final project finished), but it just makes me want to quit.  I've got senioritus extensius (you know, wanting to get out of here a.s.a.p.), and that is only compounded by my continual sickness.

My next class was fine.  I did homework on my laptop the entire time while taking notes on a few of the main points of the lecture.  It isn't just my laptop that can multitask.  I can too.  Then it was off to chapel a few minutes before class was over.  It was a slow service, two DVDs, no PPT, only three microphones, and Robert taking pictures of a little awards segment.  I hurried back to my apartment and started laundry just before mom picked up some stuff I packed up and the CD to mail to Dana I made for her to enjoy.  I had twp PB&Js for lunch before rushing to tennis class before my laundry was done while I was researching something I heard about recently.

Tennis was okay.  Got one of the matches out of the way that we have to play before the final.  Everything was perfect until I got back to my room.  I picked up my laundry and hurriedly jumped into the shower.  While washing my face, I accidentally scrubbed too hard while I was washing my face with a washrag saturated in Dove bar soap, resulting in a very large amount of soap being forced under my eyelids (still not sure exactly how it happened).  I spent a good five minutes rinsing it out with the school's water (which didn't help much, the chlorine just made it hurt more).  Then security gave me a ride over to the clinic where the nurse helped me rinse it out more with sterile solution and let me keep the bottle for the rest of the evening of flushing that I'll be doing every so often.  I finally got to work 45 minutes late.  Now I'm sitting here trying to focus through the burning.  It looks like someone tore the layer of white off my eye leaving a red layer of blood there.  At least it doesn't seem to have swollen much.

And I was having such a depressing day.  Why did it all of a sudden have to go and turn into purgatory.  I was fine sitting on the ridge of the valley of the shadow of death.  But for some reason, I had to slip off the edge and roll down the side a little.  Have you ever lost the use of one eye for any amount of time?

It really freaks you out when you are a web developer.  You can't do that job so well if you can't see.  I've always wondered what it would be like to spend a day or a week blindfolded.  I just never have tried it.  Not many companies are looking to hire a blind guy.

The first thing I thought of was all the lectures in Physical Science class about why it was so important to wear goggles that were always followed with the demonstration of an egg being broken into a petri dish and then adding a little hydrochloric acid (I think it was).  The result was always the proteins solidifying and hardening the egg.  Then the teacher would tell us that our eyes had similar proteins in it.  I don't remember measurement conversion tables or anything like that.  I just remember the "what not to do" lectures (and how I wondered what it would be like to feel something like that).  If this is what soap feels like, I think I'll settle with this mental lesson and not move on to anything else.

Hey!  I can hold my eye open for a few seconds at a time now.  I think it's getting a little better.  I should be okay tomorrow.  I just hope no one calls tonight.  I'm wearing sun glasses to avoid some of the questions I know people will ask.  Well, back to work.

Congrats to everyone who is graduating with me.  I'll see you all May 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment