Thursday, August 17, 2006

18-Aug-2006

An Update on the Computer Stuff...

I want this (or better) liquid cooling system for my computer (please tell me if you know of a better one).  I need to find two GPU blocks that will work with that (gotta cool my graphics cards if I plan to over clock them).  I also want two of these Western Digital hard drives (in a RAID 0 config giving me 300 gigabytes at a really fast access speed).  Down the road, I have hopes to get two of these ASUS Dual SLi video cards (to replace my current cards to run the new round of games that are in development these days).  With that I will upgrade the processor to this AMD X2 4800+ (the highest my motherboard can handle in the X2 line, the FX series is overpriced for little improvement).  Those last two would be cooled and over clocked.

Still job hunting, I have freelance stuff to do for now, but that isn't a steady stream, so I really need a constant income.  But I've said that before....

3 comments:

  1. *cries* Raptors in RAID 0 destroys their best advantages...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't studied SATA and RAIDs have you? Those drives and that config would be heaven... not to mention the 300 gigs of space....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only article I could find on Tom's was comparing a 10,000 RPM Raptor to a RAID 0 of two 7,200 RPM drives (apples and oranges; I wanna see specs on a single 10k RPM vs. two 10k RPMs in RAID 0). Haven't been able to find the article on anandtech, but will look more later when I have time. I'm enjoying Vista (even though it is a Beta and I've hit several showstopping bugs so far). I really like the workins of Aero and the Media Center interface in conjunction with my driverless CyberLink PC remote.

    ReplyDelete