Wednesday, May 24, 2006

24-May-2006

Originally written on May 23, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

Life is Too Short

I went to the cemetery on Elm Hill right by school after work today.  As I was walking around, I found this one headstone that was fairly new.  It caught my attention for one reason.  I could barely see it.  It wasn't overgrown, and it was set perfectly in the ground.  I couldn't see it because of what had been placed on it yesterday.  Yesterday was May 22nd.  You see, the dates that were on it read as follows:

May 22, 1999
September 17, 1999

There was a candle in the shape of a "7" that had been partially burned and blown out.  There were a handful of toy cars and an action figure laying on it from siblings, no doubt.  There were some balloons from parents, I'm sure.  There was an uneaten cupcake on the side.

I don't know why those dates were on there other than that they belonged to that child.  I would suppose some disease or perhaps something genetic.  It didn't say.  But as you know, that is less than four months.  Four months.  I'm 240 months old.

I never knew my oldest sister.  Denise died a few hours after birth because of a genetic flaw, four years before I was born.  I have two sisters, but I have only met one.  I have three siblings, but only lived with two.

My dad died two years ago this past March.  My grandparents all passed away before I was old enough to get to know any of them well.  People at church pass away.  A close friend's grandfather passed away a few weeks back.  People die.

So, my question is, "Why does it matter so much to us?"  Why do we make such a big deal about such stupid things?  Why would we stop talking to someone because he or she forgot to send a note card?  Why would we ignore a family member?  Why wouldn't we take time for friends?  Why would we allow one horrible incident to so consume us that it changes who we are?  Why would we take our focus off of God?

Life is too short.  No one will be here forever.  Many of us have less time than anyone could know.  If you die tomorrow, or in ten minutes, will everyone know you served God's purpose for your life in the life of those around you?  Will you say I did?

1 comment:

  1. You know.  For someone whom I don't know well.  Someone who doesn't know much about me.  You certantly have a way of speaking God's words just right.  Four months.  Happy seventh little friend.  I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete