Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Lady Downstairs

I'm kinda scared by the lady downstairs. I'm naturally paranoid and suspicious of people thanks to where I grew up. So now, when I answer the door this morning and the lady keeps stepping toward the door as if she wants in, I feel justified that I had propped my foot behind it as a door stop. Here's the part that gets me:

She asked me as soon as I opened the door if I would be practicing guitar till 1AM. This of course confused something in particular out of me because of the following:
  1. My radio is in the living room
  2. I play classical guitar, it's not amped, so usually people are lucky to hear it in the same room
  3. I muted the TV when I decided to go to sleep
  4. I went to sleep at 11PM
So, I'm confused. I explained most of this to her, but she didn't believe me (I could tell. I'm good at reading the gesture of her stepping towards the door and then back to her original position when I didn't budge. She kept asking to see my room but I declined stating that I'm still cleaning the place up and things are not settled.

She came up later (about three hours later) and said she wanted to test if her radio was too loud as she had received complaints about it in the past. She wanted me to take down her phone number and call her if I could hear it. I again declined, because that would require me giving her what I consider in this situation to be personal info - I don't want her looking at the caller ID and calling me. I'm not here to make buddy with someone that approaches me in this way.

So, welcome to the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment