Friday, May 16, 2008

Really Smart... or Stupid

I cannot decide which I am. I spent $40 last night buying a non-working desktop computer (the guy threw in a second one just so he wouldn't have to deal with disposing of it). I got it home, put some memory in it (as it was missing) as well as a hard drive I had laying around. It turns out it's a P4 2.6 GHz processor with a DVD reader and a CD burning drive. The guy said the motherboard has issues, but it passed my diag and tests so I'm gonna run it till I have problems. I started installing Linux on it this morning to stress test it, and if everything passes, I'll put Windows XP Home on and give it to my mom or brother (it has the license for the software on the case). They both need upgrades, but that isn't where they put their money, so I find good fixer-uppers and pass them along if everything checks out.

I have no clue why I do stuff like this. I do it all the time. I have another great (working and fast) computer I bought from a computer repair store they couldn't get working. All I did was reset the basic input/output settings on it and it started working again. I had a good laugh at the store's misfortune in selling it as non-working. I got some good hardware from that deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment