Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I got your geek squad right here...

First of all, Best Buy isn't a computer store, why you would take a computer there to be fixed by a condescending high school kid is beyond me.  But some of that is me being angry at how a friend of mine was treated after having purchased a laptop and some services there. Sorry gal, hope you have better luck with your next purchase.

Anywho, I had some fun this morning. I finally sat down and hacked dd-wrt onto my router (actually it was easy on my wrt54g -v3.1, built into the update function on the unit). The wrt54g v6 that my manager at work gave me was a bit harder, the smaller factory installed memory on the v5 and later units means you must first of all use the micro version of dd-wrt and also, you must override the firmware locks with the different nature of the firmware on these newer units. It was fun uploading a bin file with the word "kill" in it's file to a router that I would rather not brick. Long story short, both installs were successful and without major hitches, though some minor pounding of fists was done at the shop while I tried to fix my new free router there.

So, here's the new setup with these updated devices:

Comcast's crappy modem <===> wrt54g v3.1 <)))> wrt54g v6 configured as a client
                                                 ||   ||   ||
                                                 ||   ||   ===> linksys 5 port switch for roommates
                                                 ||   ===> linksys 16 port switch for my little computer lab under my desk
                                                 ===> linux server that will be joined by a windows server soon

Text is fun. I have some more web work to finish up this evening, and then I'll be turning in. I have reached my geek point quota for the month.

1 comment:

  1. hehe, gaines and I got the "L" version - its one of the later models but was purposefully meant to run linux distros.  dd-wrt is a beaty.

    ReplyDelete