Saturday, March 26, 2005

26-Mar-2005

New Computer ... Sort of


So, the tech from Dell came yesterday.  Nice guy.  He was from California , and had a few stories about some of the extra work he did in several movies.  He also does animation/special effects, and was talking about how Paramount seems to have dropped off the map for a little while due to financial problems.  He also had a lot of insider info about movies in the works and sequels and such.  It was fun talking to him.  I hear Disney stole Toy Story 3 & 4 out from under Pixar and is working on them both at the same time....  But I can't really prove anything.  I don't have the interest to look up stuff like that on the web to see if any reputable leak sites can substantiate that.


I did the dishes while he took my laptop completely apart just to replace the touch pad.  I tell you, if they had brought in the support techs when they actually designed the case, the techs would have a lot to say about design changes....  He had to first remove the memory panel and memory cards on the bottom, then open up a few other compartments.  After taking off a lot of screws, he had to pull the main body apart and remove the LCD screen to get the palm rest area off (the palm rest is the area surrounding the entire keyboard and touch pad - the top side of the lower portion of the laptop case).  Turns out he replaced the palm rest, keyboard, and touch pad all together.  That was more that I was counting on, but I'm not going to complain.  If he had to replace the screen too, everything I look at when using my laptop would be brand new.  Talk about warranty’s worth.  They even replaced the missing rubber feet and would have replaced any missing screws if there were any absent.  I like this warranty thing.  One tip: if you ever get a laptop, get a Dell and get the full 4 year warranty.  (And don't even talk to me about Macs - PC architecture is sooo much better).  It is two years into my warranty, and I just had all that work done for free.  I have two more years of this, so I'm guessing I'll be getting some more new parts in the next two years.  The thing is, if you take perfect care of any system, it will last for at least three years without servicing , but accidents do happen, and that is what the warranty is for (covering for my stupidity even though I did the best I could to make sure I didn't hurt anything). 


On a related note, I'm thinking about wearing chain male for a while.  I keep shocking the crap out of myself and the 'male would prevent/dissipate a lot of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment